Commodore 1541-II troubles

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

the3leez

Commodore 1541-II troubles

Post by the3leez »

Hello. I am new to the forum and need some help! I recently decided to relive the C64 days of my youth and purchased a C64c and 1541-II (no manuals) on Ebay. The 64 works fine and when I first tried the 1541 I was able to format a new disk, save a small BASIC program and load it back in the C64. So, I went back to Ebay to find some software. But when my GEOS disks arrived in mail I could not get them to boot. I thought the GEOS disks were DOA. Then I noticed that the green drive light was constantly on after powering up the 1541. I wasn't able to find anything useful online about this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions or am I stuck with a model 1541-II paperweight? Thanks in advance for any advice!
the3leez

1541-II Troubles

Post by the3leez »

I think I discovered the source of the problem. I researched other C64 forums and found out that a bad power brick could cause these symptoms. A quick test with the multimeter showed the 12V pin was actually putting out 18V. I guess it is back to Ebay to find a power brick.
Gambit

Post by Gambit »

What other commodore forums are there?
gklinger

Post by gklinger »

Gambit wrote:What other commodore forums are there?
There are lots of other forums. Here are the ones I visit daily:

PETSCII Forums - a variety of message boards including DTVHacking, TelBBS, Quantum Link Reloaded, Secret Society of Commodore Coders and more
Lemon64 - the most active 64 forum of all, mostly games oriented
Think Commodore - for Mac users who emulate Commodore computers
Denial - a VIC-20 oriented message forum
Commodore 128 Alive - a 128 oriented message forum
Lemon Amiga - Amiga oriented message forum, sister site to Lemon64

All of the above have great websites as well as their forums so I would recommend checking them out too. GameBase64 and The C-64 Scene Database also have active forums and there are a ton of forums in other languages.
Call me Golan; my parents did.