Using PETGAMES .d64 image in CCS C64 Emulatoor

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

amanikas

Using PETGAMES .d64 image in CCS C64 Emulatoor

Post by amanikas »

I can play d64 files for commodore 64 files. However from this site I downloaded the PETgames file which are d64 files of some oldie-but-goodie PET games like Dungeon, but they give me an error when I load them.

Has anyone loaded these games (e.g. PETGMS01.d64)? Do you need to use the Monitor instead of just load ,8,1? Any help would be greatly appreciated - PET was my first computer (started using one in 1978). :D
administrator
Site Admin

How to Use WinVice

Post by administrator »

Good Day;

I just downloaded and tested the files using the WinVice emulator. All files I tested functioned without error.

I used the following simple process:
1: download WinVice and PET Games from our download page ( www.commodore.ca/download )
2: launched XPET.EXE
3: click SETTINGS, PET SETTINGS, and selected 4032.
4: click FILE, ATTACH DISK IMAGE, DRIVE 8 and selected many files (one at time) from many different .D64 images (including PETGMS01.d64).
NOTE: These games are in D64 FORMAT, which does NOT mean they will function on a Commodore 64. The PET games require a PET or a PC PET Emulator like VICE.
amanikas

Thanks, plus tip

Post by amanikas »

That worked great. xPET from WinVICE works great.

A tip for other users is to use D64editor.exe to extract all D64 games to .prg files. Then instead of mounting a disk with multiple games and typing load "sample",8 you can just go under the File->autostart and just select the individual game name and it will load and run for you. Also, some games require a 2001 PET (Aliens!, Canyon, Debris, Dungeon, Nab!). For the Datestones of Ryn (a fun 20 minute intro RPG) that is best left on a disk (.d64) with its datafile so the program can find the data.

All other games I set to PET 4032. Death Planet is still a great game. When an 8K game is more fun than games requiring 128MB and a graphics accelerator (PC) you know programmers have gotten lazy! :-)