Looking for a Commodore 64.

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

noname
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Looking for a Commodore 64.

Post by noname »

US version, with original box, all accessories (tv cable, power supply, etc.), manual, styrofoam, and that small cardboard box. Thank you.
Last edited by noname on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
bryceHUHwhat

Re: Looking for a Commodore 64.

Post by bryceHUHwhat »

why not try ebay?
BenjaminLumen

Post by BenjaminLumen »

I worked for this old Computer company that did nothing but refurbish and sell old equipment. Commodore,Atari/Amiga,Apple,etc.

They had old software,joysticks.. It was a cool company, mainly just an indoor junkshop..

People like FRY's Electronics could keep a little junk shop going pretty easyily.. If someone could talk them into it.

It don't even have to have a name, just a place.. The idea here is to set up a staging area for old computers , and people can come by and try to fix their own machines from what is on hand, then just pay for the garbage and leave. Keep a DMM and Osci on hand, and you would be good to go.

Kinda like Chinese food, we got it but you got to put it on your plate..

Because Fry's legacy stuff, I am still into Borland Compilers and odd bits of stuff.. Stuff that is hard to come by..

There was this old electronics shop by our University ran by this old dude, another Junk Shop, coolest place in town, anyone who was anyone would go in there and get their stuff.
Old dusty, resistors that had been there for 10 years easily, that kind of thing.

Ebay is the Junkshop, but its not as cool...

Anyways I am day dreaming again it looks like so..
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

BenjaminLumen wrote:I worked for this old Computer company that did nothing but refurbish and sell old equipment. Commodore,Atari/Amiga,Apple,etc.

They had old software,joysticks.. It was a cool company, mainly just an indoor junkshop.
The problem with any business is to stay profitable. With some, they have had to diversify. Case in point, yesterday after the FCUG meeting, I visited the Play & Trade game shops and the Antique Mall, all in this area. I was looking for Commodore items but only found plenty of Atari 2600, NES, SuperNES, and even Intellivision carts, usually at about $3-5 each. These businesses keep on running, because they have other sellable items that keep them afloat.

I found laserdiscs and laserdisc players!
Thalamos

Post by Thalamos »

Hey there. I'm on the hunt for another C64 too. I've been without since I sold my setup back in 1988. If you live in the US, there may be other options for you to obtain a C64 in a box. Check with your local library and colleges. Many have old hardware that they stack away. Most of the equipment would have been donated to them for eductional purposes. Get your local newspaper and check for garage sales and classifieds. If you have any privately owned computer repair shops in your area, you may check with them. If they've been in business awhile, they may have old hardware. They would also be an excellent source of information as to where to find what you're looking for. Case in point: I went to one of those shops yesterday that had been around since the early '90's. While he didn't have anything for me, he told me that he donated a large amount of Commodore and Amiga hardware to our local community college a few years back. He provided me a contact name at the college. He also has experience in repairing old hardware so I also have a source for repairs on any hardware that I may find. Check your local pawn shops. Many times they have old hardware out on the sales floor or in the back. You can also haggle with them for a better price. Chances are, if they have any of it, they will want to get rid of it but will try to get as much out of it as possible. You can also put out a classified in the local paper stating that your looking for old computer hardware. You may get calls for things other than a C64 but you may be able to take advantage of a possible lead by asking that person specifically about a C64 and if they know where you can find one. The point is to get as many people calling as possible. If they have old hardware they may know others with old hardware as well.

While there are several C64's in a box on Ebay, you may be able to find one locally that you can get for free or next to nothing. Ebay prices are getting higher and higher for those machines. However, if you take the time and effort to do some serious searching and investigation in your area, you may be surprised as to what you find.

Good luck in your quest. :D

Thal
noname

Post by noname »

Thank you for the advice. So okay, I'll try those options once I get home. But if anyone does have a Commodore 64 (because I'm still away), just let me know. To clarify, I'm somewhere in East Asia right now, and it'll take a long time before I leave.