220v Wedge Power Supply Converted to 110v?

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

Ahandyman59
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

220v Wedge Power Supply Converted to 110v?

Post by Ahandyman59 »

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, but not new to Commodore. My first serious computer was a Commodore 64 and it literally changed the direction of my life. I eventually jumped on the Amiga line and stayed with it. I spend a lot of time repairing and restoring Amigas, but never got over the C64. I have finally returned to the beginning and am back with the C64...

I have been picking up C64s for a while and have acquired a few 220v wedge power supplies. The PAL C64's are generally more compatible with most C64 software and the sound timing is better. Anyway, is there a relatively simple way to convert them from 220v to 110v? I can get to the regulator via grinding some of the epoxy out, if that's any help.

My guess is the transformer itself won't provide 9V and 5V with 110V in but am not sure.

I'd be surprised if someone else hasn't asked this but could not find it via any searches...

Thanks for the assist,
Ahand59
LoneWolf33

Re: 220v Wedge Power Supply Converted to 110v?

Post by LoneWolf33 »

Hi,

You're right, the original power transformer won't be able to provide the required voltage outputs, when applying 110V input instead of 220V.
There might be a problem when PAL C64 gets 60Hz instead of 50Hz (the PAL-M version marketed in Brasil is an exception).
The CIA chip uses this as reference for the TI$ clock and there may be other timings that may be affected, resulting unexpected Kernel hangs.

If you don't want to mess with carving out the epoxy and finding a suitable replacement transformer,
there are aftermarket power supplies readily available for the C64.
Look for the name Ray Carlsen.

But the aftermarket PSU won't solve the possible line frequency timing incompatibility between the PAL and NTSC machines.
Ray uses a linear transformer to provide 9VAC output, which sends the input line frequency out.
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

LoneWolf33 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:02 amThere might be a problem when PAL C64 gets 60Hz instead of 50Hz (the PAL-M version marketed in Brasil is an exception). The CIA chip uses this as reference for the TI$ clock and there may be other timings that may be affected, resulting unexpected Kernel hangs.
In practical terms, the clock discrepancy makes no difference in most C64 programs. I have successfully powered PAL C64's with North American power supplies.
If you don't want to mess with carving out the epoxy and finding a suitable replacement transformer, there are aftermarket power supplies readily available for the C64. Look for the name Ray Carlsen.
Ray makes the best power supplies, even when compared to the eBay ones coming out of Poland. And he loves making custom power supplies, too.

Writing from Utrecht, the Netherlands,
Ahandyman59

Post by Ahandyman59 »

Thanks for the advice. I saw Ray's video on rebuilding one of the old "bricks of death". I'm pretty handy and good with solder, so I think I'm going to remove the epoxy brick and see what I can build...

Thanks again,
Ahandyman59
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

Ah, o.k.. But be aware... Ray discovered that the gauge of wire that Commodore Business Machines used in the power supply (from p.s.-to-DIN male plug) is extremely thin... something like 20 or 22 gauge. (Boy, CBM was cheap!) There is quite a drop in voltage efficiency with that thin of a wire. With his Commodore power supplies, Ray uses a 18-gauge wire from p.s-to-DIN. With his Amiga power supplies, he uses 16-gauge wire.

Writing from Schiphol Airport, the Netherlands,