Cottonwood II

This forum provides information on BBS' which Commodore hardware (and emulators) may connect

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

wiskow
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Cottonwood II

Post by wiskow »

I got a Commodore 64c set up and running Ivory BBS software. I decided to put it online so that people could see what Ivory is like. I'm calling the BBS "Cottonwood II", and you can access it at the same address as my main BBS, but at port 6400 instead of 23. So... From most terminals, you'd use the following address:
cottonwood.servebbs.com:6400
Or, with CGTERM, just replace the colon with a space:
cottonwood.servebbs.com 6400

A couple notes for those who are unfamiliar with Ivory BBS... First, when you connect, tap return/enter once to complete the connection. Then, the BBS should ask you to press "SHIFT-@" for graphics mode. This method of graphics terminal detection was used because Commodore computers were the only ones that were able to transmit this particular key combination (most other computers have "@" above the number "2", so you can't shift a shifted charachter). With CGTERM, the "@" key is mapped to "[", to the right of the letter "P", so you'll need to press "SHIFT-[" when it asks you to press "SHIFT-@". Finally, the first time you call, it'll ask if you're a member of the BBS. Answer no, then it'll ask for your name or user #. Since you don't have a user # yet, just type the handle you'd like to use. When you get to the main menu, press "A" to fill out an application for membership, and as soon as I validate your new account, you'll have access to the Sub-Boards (message area) and file transfer sections. I normally validate new accounts within 24 hours. If you'd like me to send you an e-mail letting you know when your account has been validated, just leave me a feedback message before you logoff and let me know what your Internet e-mail address is.

Any questions? Just ask! :)

Just to clarify... I only put this BBS up as a sort of "demo board" to show what Ivory is like. DSLMAN had a board running on Ivory for about a week, but it's down again, and doesn't seem like it's coming back. I think it'd be great if there were an example of all the major BBS programs that ran on Commodores up and running for people to see. Moparram has just put a BBS online running on Ivory, which I still haven't connected to (but plan to soon), but since he intends to switch to different software once he has all the kinks worked out of his setup, I'll be leaving Cottonwood II online. :)

-Andrew
wiskow
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Post by wiskow »

I've updated the Cottonwood website at http://hometown.aol.com/cottonwoodbbs to include information about Cottonwood II as well as a photo of the setup.

-Andrew
jasonboche

Post by jasonboche »

I connected. Thank you for setting this up.