Commodore 64 desk

If you want to buy or sell something Commodore... post it here for free.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

Lousy
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Commodore 64 desk

Post by Lousy »

Hi guys!
I have this old Commodore computer desk from back in the eighties that came with a C64 bundle.
I wondered if it might be worth something, it has a drawer and a hollow bay area for the good ol 1541!

Strangley enough I've never seen too many, and I can't even find reference to it online or anything.

rbernardo

Re: Commodore 64 desk

Post by rbernardo »

Is that a sticker on the bottom drawer? Or is that C= symbol made of something more substantial?

Truly,
Lousy

Post by Lousy »

It's a sticker, original to the desk, looks like similar material to a license plate sticker.

The rest is like powder-coated sheet metal, and the top is a fake wood.
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

Lousy wrote:It's a sticker, original to the desk, looks like similar material to a license plate sticker.
Oh, if that's the case, then the desk doesn't really have anything going for it. An ordinary office desk with a sticker...

Truly,
Seagull

Post by Seagull »

I guess this is a good enough area to say hi, as a new member, and to throw some info out on the history of that Commodore desk.

First off, Lousy is right, that there's basically no information online, aside from the odd post here and there, on other forums, about it. Apparently its a Canada only Commodore item, that was given away as part of a Commodore 64 bundle (again, on the money there Lousy), from a few retailers. I know for sure that Canadian Tire and Eaton's were 2 places that you could get them from, and apparently, later on, they were available at Beaver Lumber (of all places), for sale by themselves, on clearance.

Mine came from Eaton's, and include the C64, 1701 monitor, 1541 disk drive, a stamped metal monitor stand (same brown color as the desk), a joystick, and a program pack, full of disks. All total, the purchase price was around $1400 (as I still have the original store receipt), but I don't think I've had a Christmas present to date, that has matched the awsomeness of that set!

I do see the desks pop up on Craigslist and Kijiji from time to time, and I think the last one was I saw, was back in December on the Ottawa Kijiji, for an asking price of a whopping $10!

Lousy: Curious if you're keeping yours, or looking to offload it?
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

Heh, for some reason I prefer the Commodore file cabinet. ;)

Thanks for the extra info, Seagull,
Seagull

Post by Seagull »

Happy to throw some useful info out, when I've got some to offer :)

I'm still partial to that desk, since it was part of my original setup (as cheaply built as it is and well, doesn't quite fit me like it use to :lol: ), but I agree with you on the filing cabinets Robert, I've got a couple myself, and those are tanks.

I did find another interesting item from Commodore, a few years ago, which is a filing cabinet with a fold away desktop. The coolness factor was too much to pass on it, but again, can't find anything online about this one either.
Attachments
rsz_1005.jpg
rsz_1005.jpg (57.52 KiB) Viewed 21177 times
Last edited by Seagull on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seagull

Post by Seagull »

Well that's a horrible picture...guess my editor is having issues. Here's another that might give an idea of what it looks like
Attachments
rsz_001.jpg
rsz_001.jpg (158.69 KiB) Viewed 21178 times
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

Whoa, that is very utilitarian! Too bad I can't see its Commodore identification.

Truly,
Seagull

Post by Seagull »

Ah, I knew I forgot something! Ooops :oops:
Attachments
rsz_1003.jpg
rsz_1003.jpg (168.95 KiB) Viewed 21169 times
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

Oh, ho, a hidden sticker. And with origin of manufacture, too. :)

Truly,
Lousy

Post by Lousy »

That's a cool desk Seagull. We also had an upright Commodore filing cabinet that same battleship grey colour. :lol: Very nice, I don't know where it ended up.
Seagull

Post by Seagull »

Thanks! I've got 3 of the 2 drawer filing cabinets...one is that battleship grey, and the other 2 are that off white color of a Vic-20. I can't seem to pass up grabbing anything Commodore, whenever I come across something :lol: !

Do you still have the system that came with your desk, Lousy? (or desk with system)
Lousy

Post by Lousy »

Sadly all that remains is the desk. I did use the 1701 for many years after the c64 died, used it to watch movies and play some console games. Great monitor, I'll have to try and find one :)
Seagull

Post by Seagull »

Ah, how many times have I said that about things over the years! :( The one thing I never did get rid of was my C64 set, even though there was a good 20 years in-between the last time I used it, and the next time I fired it up.

Definitely agree with you about the 1701. Solid monitor, and they are definitely a work horse considering how long they can last! If you meant you were looking to get another monitor, then I'd check your local classifieds first before anything. Having one shipped, doesn't usually end with it working, once it gets to where it's supposed to go, unless you're lucky enough to find someone that really knows how to pack things exceptionally well! Even better if you're located somewhere close to where there's a Commodore user group, as they tend to get donations of such items, and sell them at great prices (tested!), to help with costs associated with group operations and such.

Now, if you meant another C64, then you'd be amazed at everything that's been, and continues to be developed for it, included hardware, games, and so on. I started getting back into the scene a couple of years ago, and couldn't believe everything that was going on within the Commodore (and other 8 bit), communities! Same thing goes, as with the monitor. Check locally first, and be wary of Ebay. There are some reputable sellers on Ebay, and a lot of them can be found on various forums such as this one.

Some people are even reviving dial up BBS's...how awesome is that! :shock: