A few Commodore questions, new person.

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

soupisgoodfood

A few Commodore questions, new person.

Post by soupisgoodfood »

Yeah, It's the Apple II guy (ducks in case more eggs are thrown).

Anyways, I have a question..I'm about to obtain my first real Commodore (I know, whooptie doo, but other than having an Amiga for a week, without any kickstart or workbench disks, I've never owned a Commodore product except a few 1080 Monitors)

Anyways, I'm about to pick up a C128, but I'm hoping to run, and eventually write my own demos on it. However, as the demoscene seems to be mostly prevalent in Europe, it tends to be based around PAL machines. I have a 1080 monitor that supposedly handles both PAL and NTSC, but is it possible to convert an NTSC C128 to PAL?

Also, how well does C64 compatibility mode work with the C128?

Ooh! and...Am I about to use the C128's 40 and 80 ccolumn output on the same montir? (Commodore/Amiga 1080? Both would be useful ...
lAky help would be appreciated.

-Ryan
administrator
Site Admin

Post by administrator »

Good day and welcome to the forum;

1: I am not aware of a ready process to change NTSC software to function on PAL but I am sure someone who reads this thread will have a better answer

2: C64 mode on a C128 is almost perfect because it running the C128 MOS8502 CPU in MOS6510 emulation. In other words it is not using a software emulator. I am not familiar with ANY C64 software that does not run on a C128, but I know there are a few and again, I am sure someone who reads this thread will provide examples

3: the 1080 should run just fine with either product

If you are looking for a 128, there are a number of 128D's around which provide a metal Amiga like case and are semi-collectable. Many people prefer them.

You may find http://www.commodore.ca/products/128/Commodore_128.htm to be interesting.

Have a great day and thanks for your post.
soupisgoodfood

Post by soupisgoodfood »

Oh, I'm not talking about NTSC-fixing software. I'm talking about converting the C128 hardware to convert it from an NTSC C128, to a PAL C128. I understand that they use a different model number VIC-IIe between the PAL and NTSC C128's, but yeah.

I'm somewhat familiar with the 128D, I've read some things about it. Very reminiscent of an Amiga 1000 indeed, however, I find the breadbox more attractive and compact myself :P One plus over an Amiga 500, I don't have to carry a mouse in my pocket :P
kakarot

Post by kakarot »

Well, In my C64C, there's a jumper of sorts to toggle between PAL and NTSC. It's actually more of a solder bridge, short it to toggle one way, cut it to toggle the other. I'm not entirely sure, but aren't PAL and NTSC different power standards in Europe (?) and The USA? Then, couldn't you just use an adapter? Just a thought.
rbernardo
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Re: A few Commodore questions, new person.

Post by rbernardo »

Ryan wrote:...is it possible to convert an NTSC C128 to PAL?
Possible. You'd have to put in a PAL video chip and change the crystal.

Truly,