My older query on accessing C-64 WP files from the past

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

fwperry

My older query on accessing C-64 WP files from the past

Post by fwperry »

I had left a query on (what appears to be) the older Commodore board about possibly salvaging several 5 1/4 floppies of wordprocessing files of newspaper columns I had written in the 80's. Unfortunately these were written on several WP's as I found better ones to use. Some of the columns were on Speedscript, some on Easy Script, and some on OmniWriter. I don't remember if they were compatible programs at the time, and if they were saving in simple ASCII text or in a language.

Can anyone assist in any way to somehow convert these files to anything readable on a PC? My thought was that anyone who could (1) read the files with a C-64 wordprocessing program of some kind (2) perhaps send the file online to a PC where it could be saved as a text file.

????????? :?:
administrator
Site Admin

Post by administrator »

Good Day FW

1: The old forum was unfortunately taken down and the data was lost... sorry about that.

2: If you have a Commodore disk drive you can get your files onto your PC cable tools like: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 48262&rd=1

You can then read those files using a Commodore Emulator like VICE, which you can get here: http://www.commodore.ca/download/download.htm

I hope this helps.

I am sure others have alternate ways of solving this problem and look forward to reading their posts.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for that option... since I don't have a 1541 drive, it looks like a lot of effort. I guess I'll kiss those articles goodbye.

It's lesson to all of us, I guess. Even PC and Mac users assume that what we create will be around forever (or digital camera pictures people), when in fact we could find that formats change and what we created is not accessible 20 years later.

Good that there are some people like you guys who maintain a link to "historical" computers.

FWP :?

Post by Guest »

IF you have a 1581, you could try saving it as an ascii file.
"Notepad" might open it in Windows.