New forum member, I'm happy to be here!

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

killeroftime

New forum member, I'm happy to be here!

Post by killeroftime »

Hello. My name is Ryan and I have been a Commodore owner since what I believe was Xmas 1983... I was 8 years old. My family wasn't even close to rich but somehow they bought me a C64 and a 1541 disk drive. Thus began my obsession with computers. I bought books with lines and lines and lines of text in them that magically became GAMES after lots of typing. Mis-type anything and the computer told you what line of code needed to be modified! I began toying with the code and changing things to make my own games... Anyways, blah blah blah ... Now I'm 31 years old and I find myself admiring the classic Commodore computers that changed my life. I still have the Commodore 64 I received for Xmas. I have had it for a long time, but it was packed up in a box in storage for quite a number of years. The power supply still works and the computer boots, but I had lost the disk drive power supply long ago. I still have the replacement disk drive I bought after the good 'ol 1541 died. Looking back on it, now that I know how to clean the head on a drive, it probably could have been saved... BUT anyways I still have the black "Indus GT" 5 1/4 disk drive but I can't find the power supply and nowhere on the drive can i find any indication of what voltage the drive uses. Above the round power plug is simply says "Indus Power Supply Only". Suggestions on that matter would be greatly appreciated. OK, wait up a minute. I just Googled the drive... It may be some kind of rare drive with an operating system. OK, I just opened it and took a pic. Here's the picture of the inside:

If anybody knows anything about this thing, please don't hesitate to shoot me a message. Below is a picture of my current setup. On June 1st, less than a month ago, I purchased a Commodore 128, 1571 disk drive, 1702 monitor, 2 joysticks, and all the power supplies, cords, and cables it needed to work for the STAGGERING low price of $15 with no guarantee that any of it would work. After I cleaned the head on the drive it has worked perfectly all month and I've messed around with it daily. I seriously doubt I will find another sweetheart deal like that again anytime soon, but I'll keep looking. To the right of my setup is my original C64 that I've had for... WOW... 23 freakin years... Amazing... Anyways, here's my setup:

OK. Here's a picture of what I consider the greatest single car racing game ever created. I haven't seen ANY copies of Street Rod on Ebay at all, just a few copies of Street Rod 2 that was never, as far as I know, made for the Commodore. I think it's rare... I don't have a clue... It's NOT for sale as it is the only one I have and the colors of cars and keys in the manual are its form of copy-protection. Graphics are good, sound is good, gameplay is awesome... Here it is:

I know this is a LONG first post, but I am happy to have found a Commodore forum to call home. I have questions, hopefully I'll have some answers. I would like to get a 1530 Datasette so I can play games from Europe... If anyone has one they would like to sell, give me a shout. Ebay prices run about $15 to $20 after shipping, but I would like to find one cheaper if I can. I live in the good 'ol USA in a city called Texarkana on the border of Texas and Arkansas. Thanks for reading this long, ridiculous post. I hope to talk to you fellow Commore fanatics soon.

Ryan McBride
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving just isn't for you.
administrator
Site Admin

Post by administrator »

I believe your mystery machine is an Indus Floppy: "1984 - Indus Systems introduces the Indus GT disk drive for the Commodore 64. It is 1541-compatible, but four time faster loading. Price is US$399"

You can find some info on it: http://www.page6.org/archive/issue_12/page_20.htm

I hope this helps