Borderline BBS - DIAL-UP!!!

This forum provides information on BBS' which Commodore hardware (and emulators) may connect

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

wiskow
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Borderline BBS - DIAL-UP!!!

Post by wiskow »

Due to some recent interest in having a Commodore-run dial-up BBS for people to call, I've decided to put up Borderline BBS, running on Color 64 v7.37!

This BBS operates 24 hours a day, starting NOW! It operates at 300/1200/2400 baud, and features 40/80 column operation, ASCII/ANSI/PETSCII support, message bases, file transfers, and online games (Master's Empire 5.4, Stock Market, and Horse Racing!).

So dust off your old Commodore modems and give Borderline BBS a call at (951)242-3593. For international callers, the country code is 1. :)

Oh... And before anyone asks... Cottonwood BBS and Cottonwood II *are* still online, accessable via Telnet. So yeah, I'm running 3 BBS's simultaneously now on *real* Commodore hardware... *Someday* I'll sleep. ;)

-Andrew

Cottonwood BBS
cottonwood.servebbs.com:23

Cottonwood II
cottonwood.servebbs.com:6400

Borderline BBS
(951)242-3593
wiskow

Post by wiskow »

I came up with a PETSCII art ad for Borderline BBS, designed using Kaleidoscope on my C64. This is actually an edited version of the last "frame" of the animated intro graphic that you'll see if you call... Anyway, here's the ad for your viewing pleasure: ;)

wiskow

Re: Borderline BBS - DIAL-UP!!!

Post by wiskow »

I just wanted to post a quick reminder to everyone that Borderline BBS is still up and running 24/7. It's still the only Commodore-run dial-up BBS anywhere. So dust off your old modems and check it out! Blazing along at speeds up to 2400 baud! :)
wiskow

Post by wiskow »

Borderline BBS now has over 50 registered users... Not too shabby for a dial-up BBS in this day and age... ;)
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

wiskow wrote:Borderline BBS now has over 50 registered users...
Congratulations! :)

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
Southern California Commodore/Amiga Network
http://www.sccaners.org/
moparram

Post by moparram »

You Da Man!!
This is what my 1985 Iroc-z SHOULD look like!
sixstringmonk

Post by sixstringmonk »

This may be a stupid question: Do older modem's such as 300/1200/2400 baud work over a VOIP line? I know that "modern" high-speed modems do not because of the limited frequency range.
wiskow

Post by wiskow »

sixstringmonk wrote:This may be a stupid question: Do older modem's such as 300/1200/2400 baud work over a VOIP line? I know that "modern" high-speed modems do not because of the limited frequency range.
It's not a stupid question at all... Unfortunately, newer modems work better on VoIP lines than older modems do. This has to do with the lack of error correction protocols in the older modems. So if you can't use a newer modem with your VoIP service, then I wouldn't even bother trying an older modem. Some people have reported some success at calling Borderline BBS over a VoIP line, however. It seems that some VoIP companies are more retro-modem-friendly than others...
wiskow

Post by wiskow »

I'm happy to announce that Borderline BBS is now running on a CMD hard drive instead of the 1581 and seven 1571s that it's been running on for some time now. This means that the file transfer section is vastly bigger now, with plenty of room for additional files to be added. It also means that I'll probably be saving a bit on my electricity bill. ;)

Check out the "new and improved" Borderline BBS by calling +1(951)242-3593. For more information, visit the Cottonwood/Borderline website (the URL is in my signature, below).
Rimfire

Post by Rimfire »

Guys i got local calling only...hmmm noone can set up a website with interactive users like a craigslist ?
i just like the interaction with other commodore users..share software...anything new they made?
europe fixed any new Warez in the last 10 years?
supremacy was the only thing i got from overseas..alsome game tho..
im considering web-design(training)
yes i have a c64 with 2 41 drives..a fastloader...got acouple cartrages...lets see
a mach5/facemaker/musicmachine cratrage...i dont use them!
gave chamelion my extra fastloader...hes got a bbs up but??
going to their websites you get very little interaction?
anybody need any utilitys let me know...i still have 90% of commodore software..
compilers...coders...etc
got a ssv3 i use now and then...
could use a printer?? anyone got one!
later Rimfire
wiskow

Post by wiskow »

After a few years of downtime, as of today, Borderline BBS has returned as the world's only dial-up BBS running on a C64! So dust off your modem and give it a call! The new number is 1-951-652-1690. Running 24/7 at 300/1200 baud. It's a truly 80s telecommunications experience! :)
BenjaminLumen

Post by BenjaminLumen »

wow, Borderline BBS; as soon as I created an Account, I was informed that I had zero ability to do anything until validation and that the Sys-op was not available, the memories came flooding back!!!

2400 Baud, sure beats Commodore Modem300.... 2400 Baud Rocks!!!!

I remember staying up all hours of the night downloading stuff>

What is my download to upload Ratio 4:1 for every block I upload I get 4 download blocks, generous!!!

I could sleep in between disk swaps, I would sleep the exact amount of time it took to download a side of a 1541 Disk at 300 baud!!!! It was weird.

Then I would wake up at the Side conclude and start downloading another side!!!

Oh how I loved the Mid 1980's.. 12 years old , 6th grade, and a Commodore 64.. Too cool.. Writing Basic Adventure Games.

Punter File Transfer, and XModem.

Y,Z,X,J,C,Modem, Punter, Kermit, Ascii, ...

Fricken Cool!!!!