New VIC-20 Video Cable & New PSU

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

JoeGUSA
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

New VIC-20 Video Cable & New PSU

Post by JoeGUSA »

I recently acquired a new PSU for my VIC-20 and C64 from Keelog. The PSU works great on both. I also acquired off of Amazon a new video cable (kenable 5 Pin Male Din Plug to 4 x RCA Phono Male Plugs Audio Cable) that works with the VIC-20 and the C64. I ran into a situation regarding electronic interference with the new video cable and the new PSU. When using the new PSU with the new cable, my monitor shows what I'm calling horizontal static interference lines that scroll up the screen. The same is seen when I connect to my TV except the scrolling is from top to bottom.

- When I connect up the old Commodore PSU while using the new video cable, the issue goes away. I really don't like this solution.
- When I swap the video cable out with a multi-choice (different connectors to chose from) video connector that appears to have shielded cable, the problem goes away.

Would you concur that ordering a shielded video cable such as this one: http://herculesworkshop.com/cgi-bin/p/a ... item=61579 would likely resolve the issue?

Thank you!

Joe
JoeGUSA

Re: New VIC-20 Video Cable & New PSU

Post by JoeGUSA »

The link I provided above no longer exists. It directs to Andyswebtools.com now.
davidjwillson

Post by davidjwillson »

Cool, tnx
JoeGUSA

Post by JoeGUSA »

I found a source for shielded composite cables for the VIC-20, C64, and C128. The source is http://the-neo-retro.com I ordered two of the VIC-20/C64 cables since my model C64 has the same number of video port pins as the VIC-20, and a cable for the C128. With the shielded cables, the interference that was being seen with my other cables has gone away on the VIC-20 and C64. I have yet to test my C128 because I'm waiting for Amazon to deliver my 99% IPA so that I can clean the chips and apply new heat sink paste now that I got my C128 board back from being repaired. Then I have to reassemble it and test it out. I don't expect any video problems though since the yellow video cable is obviously shielded (thick) like the other two are. These are really nice cables.

Joe