1581 drive

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

moparram

1581 drive

Post by moparram »

On Ebay there is a 1581 disk drive that the seller claims is "Like new in box". I bid on this item, on the low side, and the bidding is now up to $91.00. Does anyone know how many 1581 drives are out there? I have a 1571 drive now to go along with a 1541. I hope to get a 1581 sometime, but I don't want to go that high. The 1541 I use with a PC cost .98! The 1571 set me back $15.00!!
gklinger

Post by gklinger »

I have no idea how many 1581s are out there but prices tend to be on the high side especially for in-the-box units. Your best, and most affordable bet, is to get a 1581 kit from JPPBM and adding your own disk drive.
Call me Golan; my parents did.
Gambit

Post by Gambit »

$91 (assuming USD) is very cheap for a like new in box 1581. These are the ones the collectors like myself are after, and bidding can be on the high side.

A 1581 that has never been used, still with factory wrapped cables and manuals, with mint condition box.... Probably go for around $250.

If you just want it to use, then try what gklinger suggested. Or look for one on eBay without the box. A faded yellow one will stay fairly low, under $50.
rbernardo
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Post by rbernardo »

Gambit wrote:A faded yellow one will stay fairly low, under $50.
Or sign up for the CommVEx raffle for a 1581. One ticket for $10, three tickets for $20.

And ours are not faded,
wiskow

Post by wiskow »

rbernardo wrote:Or sign up for the CommVEx raffle for a 1581. One ticket for $10, three tickets for $20.

And ours are not faded,
Just out of curiosity... You say yours are not faded... But are they "new in box"? :wink:

Either way... You can't beat getting one for $10! :wink:

-Andrew
Last edited by wiskow on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
moparram

Post by moparram »

As far as faded or yellowing, that doesn't bother me. As long as it works. My SX-64 has a few scratches, it's been modified, and it works.

Here's a picture of the "inside" of my SX-64. The 1541 board is to be mounted above the monitor (I'm having what I believe are RF interference problems with the drive's controller board. When the TV/monitor is on, it won't load properly, turn the TV off it loads fine.) If someone has any ideas how to block the interference, it would be greatly appreciated. Could the antenna connector next to the Serial port be a problem?
http://public.fotki.com/moparram/sx64/sx64inside.html
wiskow

Post by wiskow »

moparram wrote:If someone has any ideas how to block the interference, it would be greatly appreciated. Could the antenna connector next to the Serial port be a problem?
I'm not 100% sure this will work... But as a photogrpaher in the navy, I know that when we shoot with a video camera on the signal bridge of a ship, where all the antennas and radars are, there is a lot of interference from those things. A "quick and easy" way to block most of that interference is by wrapping our video cameras with aluminum foil, leaving just the lens opening and the control buttons open. I'd say it's worth a shot with your SX-64 monitor, eh? :wink:

-Andrew
moparram

Post by moparram »

Thanks for the tip!! I made a temporary shield from aluminum foil and tried to load a disk, and it worked! Removed the shield, and tried another load... it banged the disk head and flashed the red light. Do you think a light guage sheetmetal would work as a more permanent fix?
wiskow

Post by wiskow »

moparram wrote:Do you think a light guage sheetmetal would work as a more permanent fix?
I have no idea... But it'd certainly look a lot better than wrapping it in aluminum foil. Of course, if it's all internal and no one is going to see it, does it matter? :wink:

-Andrew
http://hometown.aol.com/cottonwoodbbs
Gambit

Post by Gambit »

Be careful you don't get shocked. TVs have alot of voltage and I hear tinfoil may be a conductor.

I think if you ground the sheet metal or tinfoil to the chassis it would work the best.
moparram

Post by moparram »

This SX64 sure is becoming a Frankenstein of a computer!! :mrgreen:
moparram

Post by moparram »

I'm thinking aluminum tape like what's used for duct work, just might do the trick. Then I just need to mount the 1541 board, and a cooling fan.
kakarot

Post by kakarot »

gklinger wrote:I have no idea how many 1581s are out there but prices tend to be on the high side especially for in-the-box units. Your best, and most affordable bet, is to get a 1581 kit from JPPBM and adding your own disk drive.
That looks cool! can you use just any old 3.5" floppy drive?how exactly does this work?