Where was Commodore in Toronto?

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

morphine

Where was Commodore in Toronto?

Post by morphine »

Hello all. Question for anyone....
I remember as a kid having to come down to Toronto with my broken-down Amiga 500 to have some warranty work done on it.
Where was Commodore in Toronto? I can't for the life of me remember. I am thinking Mississauga, because I remember taking the computer to a larger warehouse style building.
Some other memories.......World of Commodore shows in Toronto. Paying several hundred dollars for my big 512K Amiga 500 memory expansion!
On a side note, I purchased the "Computer Wars" book off of Ebay a few months ago. Have read several chapters, seems like a really great book, to get inside the behind the scenes stuff in the late 70's/early 80s.
Jason.
administrator
Site Admin

Post by administrator »

Well, I recall a Commodore repair depot (for PETs) being located within 10 mins of Yorkdale.
j1mt3hcop13rwr3nch

Post by j1mt3hcop13rwr3nch »

It was in Scarborough. IIRC (It's been gone for about 10 years now) it was on the West side of Pharmacy Ave, South of Steeles Av.
Stranded in time. Surrounded by evil. low on gas.
gklinger

Post by gklinger »

administrator wrote:Well, I recall a Commodore repair depot (for PETs) being located within 10 mins of Yorkdale.
I think you are remembering Compsec which operated a retail store on Wilson and a head office on Wingold, both of which are just minutes from Yorkdale. Compsec was one of the first and arguably the largest Commodore retailer and sold to many of the Boards of Education in Ontario. They also created a line of very popular peripherals that allowed the sharing of expensive disk drives and printers which were often found in schools.

I can confirm what an earlier poster said, Commodore Canada's head office was located on Pharmacy south of Steeles in Scarborough.
Last edited by gklinger on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Golan; my parents did.
administrator
Site Admin

Post by administrator »

I think your right. I remember the building being set back from the road a bit and being smaller than I anticipated. Comspec definately rings some Bells.

Thanks for that clarification.
gklinger

Post by gklinger »

I'm somewhat familiar with Compsec because I use to work there. :)
Call me Golan; my parents did.
morphine

Post by morphine »

Thanks for the replies!

Jason.
fortitude1
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Re: Where was Commodore in Toronto?

Post by fortitude1 »

I know there was also a warehouse on Warden Ave. north of Eglinton beside (what was then a,) Wendy's but now a country style Donuts.