To Telnet, or not to Telnet?

This forum provides information on BBS' which Commodore hardware (and emulators) may connect

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

wiskow
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

To Telnet, or not to Telnet?

Post by wiskow »

Well... Due to ever-increasing pressure by people to switch over to a Telnet-accessable BBS, I've decided to go ahead and do it. Not only will I be changing Cottonwood BBS to a TelBBS, but I'll also be changing software from Color 64 v7.37 to All American BBS 128 v12.1b. I had decided to go with Color 64 before due to the fact that AA BBS did not support my CMD hard drive, and because Color 64 was modifiable. Well, after much thought, I decided that honestly, mass quantities of downloads are not a big deal on a BBS these days. AA 128 v12.1b supports up to 10 floppy drives, which I have, and it also has a Warez Searcher feature, where I can put up a list of available software, and people can request items from that list to add to the download directories if they want them. Also, the part about Color 64 being modifiable, well... Besides the few mods that I already had, I have not been able to find ANY mods for Color 64 ANYWHERE, meaning that I really can't do any more with it. I think a good games section is a popular thing on a BBS, and with Color 64, I was only able to find 3 games to add. AA 128 v12.1b comes with 46 games pre-installed!

So anyway... What better time to change software than when I re-launch the BBS as a Telnet-accessable board? This won't be happening until the week of April 9th, after I've returned from a trip to Oregon. Until that time, the BBS will remain up as it is, still accessable at (951)242-3593. When the BBS is re-launched as a Telnet-accessable board, I will make an official announcement here, and the new Telnet address will be [url=telnet://cottonwood.servebbs.com]cottonwood.servebbs.com[/url]. Current user accounts will not be transferred over to the new software, so current users will have to re-apply as a new user. But don't worry, everyone will still have the same full access to all areas of the BBS.

One final note... I've been working on resurrecting the old C64/128 Bulletin Board List that Snakeman used to release regularly, but which hasn't been released since October 2003. Does anyone know what happened to Snakeman? Anyway, I'll be keeping the same format as the old list, including info on each BBS such as location, software, hardware, etc., but I'll be including all known dial-up AND Telnet boards on the list. I've only got a few more details to fill in on this list before it's ready for release. This release should happen in the next couple days. Again, I'll make an announcement here when this is ready.

-Andrew
Gambit

Post by Gambit »

I just picked up a Motorola Q cell phone, and I can telnet from it. I cant wait to try connecting to your BBS with it.