News on All American BBS

This forum provides information on BBS' which Commodore hardware (and emulators) may connect

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

wiskow
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

News on All American BBS

Post by wiskow »

I've been in "sporadic" contact with Nick Smith, author of All American BBS. As some of you know, the version of All American BBS that I'm running (9.6) does not have hard drive support. And since I got a CMD hard drive, I've been anxoius to use it to its full potential on my BBS. Through talking with Nick Smith by phone and e-mail, he's agreed to send me the last version of AA BBS that he wrote for both the 64 and the 128. Not only that, but just yesterday I got another e-mail from him, and he says he's going to also send me the SOURCE CODE for both versions, which he wants to release to the Public Domain, and he's authorized me to distribute it. Because I hadn't heard from him in a while, and being overly anxoius to run my BBS using my hard drive's full capacity, I went ahead and installed a basic setup of Color 64 two days ago. He told me before he'd send me the copies of the updated versions, but I hadn't received anything, and hadn't heard back from him, so I was afraid that I wasn't going to get them. But, in his e-mail to me yesterday, he's said that he will still send me all of this, it's just that he's been incredibly busy lately with business trips around the country. So... Tonight my BBS will go back to running All American BBS, and I'll patiently await the arrival of these new versions. Once I get it, I'm planning to run the 128 version on a C128 that I recently acquired. In his words, the 128 version is "much better".

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm being "wishy-washy" by switching software back and forth... I'm just trying to find the best combination of hardware and software to run my BBS on, and once I've got everything together the way I want it, it will most likely remain that way and be up without interruption for a long time to come.

More to follow! :-)

-Andrew

--------------
Cottonwood BBS
(951) 242-3593
--------------
gklinger

Re: News on All American BBS

Post by gklinger »

wiskow wrote:Through talking with Nick Smith by phone and e-mail, he's agreed to send me the last version of AA BBS that he wrote for both the 64 and the 128. Not only that, but just yesterday I got another e-mail from him, and he says he's going to also send me the SOURCE CODE for both versions, which he wants to release to the Public Domain, and he's authorized me to distribute it.
That's interesting. You should talk to Bo ([email protected]) about updating the copy of All American that is in his archive. I presume the version of AA that Nick is sending you does support the CMD HD? I guess it's a moot point because CMD support can be added if you've got the source.
I'm just trying to find the best combination of hardware and software to run my BBS on, and once I've got everything together the way I want it, it will most likely remain that way and be up without interruption for a long time to come.
Sounds good. Have you decided if you're sticking with dialup, going with telnet or going hybrid?
Call me Golan; my parents did.
wiskow
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Re: News on All American BBS

Post by wiskow »

gklinger wrote:That's interesting. You should talk to Bo ([email protected]) about updating the copy of All American that is in his archive. I presume the version of AA that Nick is sending you does support the CMD HD? I guess it's a moot point because CMD support can be added if you've got the source.
I have been exchanging e-mails with Bo Zimmerman, and I've sent him copies of AA BBS v9.6, Ivory BBS v3.3, and a little-known BBS program called Sequel (very well written, but doesn't have C= graphic support). When I get the updates, I'll most definately send those his way as well, and most likely post them on my BBS download section and on my website for anyone who wants to download it.
gklinger wrote:Sounds good. Have you decided if you're sticking with dialup, going with telnet or going hybrid?
Yes, I've decided to stick with dial-up for now. And in the future, if the opportunity to "go hybrid" presents itself, I wouldn't mind doing that. I've received some kind messages from people in the past few days who have thanked me for NOT going to Telnet... Positive reinforcement like that of my efforts really helps. :-)

-Andrew