Cottonwood BBS

This forum provides information on BBS' which Commodore hardware (and emulators) may connect

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

wiskow
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Cottonwood BBS

Post by wiskow »

I was a SysOp of a small BBS in Portland, Oregon, around 16 or 17 years ago. Back then, mine was one of dozens of dial-up Commodore BBS's in the Portland area, and one of thousands of BBS's all over North America. After spending several years overseas, I've recently returned to the U.S., and I discovered that there are no active dial-up Commodore BBS's left anywhere in North America... possibly in the entire world!

So... I decided to bring my BBS back to life. What started out as something that I *thought* was going to be easy, turned out to be a bit more difficult than I first anticipated... but not impossible! I brought my BBS back online, only to find that I needed some new hardware to get my BBS running reliably. So I had to take it down for a bit... But when I get it back online officialy, I'll be posting an announcement here.

For testing purposes, I will have my BBS up from time to time, so if you'd like to give it a shot, you can try giving it a call:

Cottonwood BBS
(951) 571-2003

Once it's officially back online, it'll be up 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. And I don't intend to take it down anytime soon. I feel that there should be at least one dial-up Commodore BBS in existence... if for no other reason than to give something for people to test out their Commodore modems on. But more importantly, I just want to preserve what I feel is a sort of "lost art".

Now to be fair, there are several Telnet-accessable Commodore BBS's out there. And from the ones I've seen, they're very well done. The thing is, you have to modify your Commodore equipment to run one of these Telnet BBS's, and it normally has to run from a Commodore through a PC to get onto Telnet. And if you want to log on to one of these Telnet-accessable Commodore BBS's with your real Commodore computer, then you, too, have to modify your system. What I want my BBS to be is an original, authentic, unmodified BBS the way BBS's were originally designed to be... which is from a computer with a modem, over a phone line, to another computer with a modem.

Okay, well... enough of my ranting... I hope there are at least a few people out there who can appreciate what I'm doing. Hopefully, once my BBS is officially back online, I'll have a small group of loyal users who will keep coming back.... people who remember BBS's when they were great, and want a taste of that again... and possibly some people who have never used a BBS before and want to see what it's all about.

Any questions? Feel free to ask! :-)

-Andrew (aka Balzabaar - SysOp)
Galaxus

Post by Galaxus »

Thanks for putting this BBS up! Once you have it working, I'll try to call in weekly...

Galaxus
wiskow
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Post by wiskow »

Galaxus wrote:Thanks for putting this BBS up! Once you have it working, I'll try to call in weekly...
Great! Thanks for your support! :-)

-Andrew