One BBS is offline and another is online

This forum provides information on BBS' which Commodore hardware (and emulators) may connect

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

wiskow
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

One BBS is offline and another is online

Post by wiskow »

For the past few years, I've been running what has been, for most of that time, the only Commodore-run dial-up BBS anywhere in the world. Borderline BBS has been running on a C64 in my home in southern California, and while it has never received a huge volume of calls, it has had calls from all over the world. People have called in from places like Australia, the Netherlands, and even Israel. I always said that I'd keep it up and running as long as people continued to call. Well, for the past two weeks, Borderline BBS has not had a single caller. I hate to keep equipment up and running if no one is going to use it, so I've decided to make a change. As of today, Borderline BBS has been taken offline, indefintely. I may bring it back online in the future if there seems to be interest, but for now, it's been taken down.

I have, however, brought a new BBS online. It's called Cottonwood II, and it's running on Color 64 v7.36 software. I recently discovered a way to get Color 64 v7.xx and earlier running via Telnet, so that's what I've done. I've been testing this setup for the past couple weeks, and it's been running in place of Cottonwood BBS. The setup is rock solid, and I've decided to run both Cottonwood BBS and Cottonwood II via Telnet simultaneously. Cottonwood BBS, which runs on All American BBS software, is now on the standard Telnet port 23. The "new and improved" Cottonwood II is now running on port 6400. New users are always welcome, and I hope everyone will check out both of these BBSs.

Here are the addresses:

Cottonwood BBS
cottonwood.servebbs.com

Cottonwood II
cottonwood.servebbs.com:6400
(use a space in lieu of the colon if you're using CGTERM)

New BBS setup photos and information have been posted on the Cottonwood Informational Website at http://cottonwood.servebbs.com
wiskow
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Re: One BBS is offline and another is online

Post by wiskow »

I just added a new way to connect to both Cottonwood BBS and Cottonwood II. You can now connect from a web browser with FlashTerm. This is a great way to connect that does not require any additional software to be installed other than a flash-capable browser, perfect for when you're using a public computer or are behind a firewall that has ports 23 and 6400 blocked (as is the case for me at work). The downside is that FlashTerm, at present, does not have PETSCII support, so you'll be stuck in ASCII mode. Still, it's better than nothing! :)

To connect using FlashTerm, just go to the following addresses:

To connect to Cottonwood BBS:
http://cottonwood.servebbs.com/cottonwood

To connect to Cottonwood II:
http://cottonwood.servebbs.com/cottonwoodii