New CAPTCHA for New Visitors

What are we doing now!

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

administrator
Site Admin

New CAPTCHA for New Visitors

Post by administrator »

We are... well ok Robert Bernardo is... getting KILLED with spamers. He has been good enough to moderate this forum for many years and while we have improved things over the years, he sure has a lot of work to do.

I have made two important changes to the way new users register:

A: I have changed a custom field we built a few years ago to be "required" and it is now a checkbox with no default. In other words unless you click that box, you can't register. The question beside the check box is "ARE YOU HUMAN" so this should be fairly easy for people to figure out.

B: I have just installed a new CAPTCHA tool. This tool WILL ONLY BE SEEN BY NEW REGISTRANTS and requires the user to solve a BASIC math question which usually contains both text and numerals. For instance a new registrant will be asked to solve a math question like:

TEN + 3 = or
9 plus VIII =

If they enter the correct answer, they can register, if not they will be rejected.

Lets see how this works. If it works as well as I hope, we can dispense with the requirement to have Robert (or I) approve your first two posts, and maybe, just maybe the annoying email confirmation for new registrations... here's to hope!

...AND THANK YOU AGAIN ROBERT!
administrator
Site Admin

Re: New CAPTCHA for New Visitors

Post by administrator »

Well, one day and NOT A SINGLE SPAMMER!

This could be good. I hope this works and we can get rid of the annoying registration restrictions!
administrator
Site Admin

Re: New CAPTCHA for New Visitors

Post by administrator »

It's working! 5 spammers in a week... this is very promising.