PaCommEx 2017 a success! Planning for PaCommEx 2018!

Pacific Commodore Expo NW: supported by the Fresno Commodore User Group, the Portland Commodore User Group, the Puget Sound Commodore User Group (of Tacoma), the Commodore 64 Enthusiasts of Greater Victoria, and most likely, the Seattle Retro-Computing Society

Moderators: wiskow, rbernardo, Trazan

rbernardo
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

PaCommEx 2017 a success! Planning for PaCommEx 2018!

Post by rbernardo »

Though there was a slow start on Saturday morning, the Pacific Commodore Expo NW gathered speed for the rest of the afternoon with interested attendees from the area and even from Canada! I likened to it to the Bay Area Maker Faire... there were those who just came to Living Computers: Museum + Labs to enjoy the museum and found us, and there were those who specifically came to PaCommEx. Instead of the hundreds going through the Classic Computers exhibit at Maker Faire, we had dozens come through PaCommEx at the LCM+L.

I must thank the attendees who came to listen to the presenters. I must thank the presenters - Kent Sullivan, Bryan Minugh, and Noel Nyman - for their clear presentations and their technical prowess. The attendees were very impressed, coming away with their hardware and software questions answered. I must thank those who brought their systems to show -- Kent with his mint-looking C128DCR playing SID tunes and Ron Barlow with his incredible GBA1000. I must thank the LCM+L staff for their help in setting up, their help in troubleshooting, their help in advertising and announcing, and their overall friendliness to what we were exhibiting, specifically Matisse, Lizzy, Casey, and Dave.

For the first PaCommEx, there were hiccups - machines breaking down, audio adapters not available, electricity dropping out when a power bar rolled on its side turning off the side-mounted power switch... but those hiccups were minor and were all overcome. And what was learned at this PaCommEx will make next year's even better!

Yes, I'm announcing plans for PaCommEx 2018! The LCM+L is glad to have us back again, and I'm looking at the June 9-10 weekend. Keep watching this forum for more PaCommEX 2018 announcements.

Sincerely,
kentsu

Re: PaCommEx 2017 a success! Planning for PaCommEx 2018!

Post by kentsu »

Had a great time at the Expo. Met several CBM 8-bit enthusiasts that I had not met before. Hopefully I'll see many of them at an upcoming Seattle Retro-Computing Society meeting, or at PSCUG.

I really enjoyed Noel's presentation on Sunday--very thoughtful and well-executed. Can't wait for the video, so that many others can see it too.

There was one fellow I wanted to tell about SRCS (http://www.seattleretrocomputing.com/) but forgot. He told me his name but I forgot. :-| He was wearing a cool T-shirt that was a combination of a Seahawk and the logo from the band Rush... Perhaps he will see this post!
rbernardo

Re: PaCommEx 2017 a success! Planning for PaCommEx 2018!

Post by rbernardo »

kentsu wrote:Met several CBM 8-bit enthusiasts that I had not met before. Hopefully I'll see many of them at an upcoming Seattle Retro-Computing Society meeting, or at PSCUG.
Yes, you were cheerleading for the SRCS! If only I had materials to hand out for the Fresno Commodore User Group or the Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network... ;) Though I doubt Seattle people would come all the way to California for a club meeting...!

Writing from Portland, Oregon,