Have you had a chance to try out a C64Mini?

This forum was the place to post questions about "New Commodore" USA PC's like the Pheonix, Invictus and Amigo but given their demise, we are expanding to include the 2015 incarnation of Commodore which includes internet access, smart phones and more.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

DavidB
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Have you had a chance to try out a C64Mini?

Post by DavidB »

I think this is the right place for this topic. If not, moderator(s) please feel free to move where ever you see fit.

First off, I happened across this project, the128Remastered, and was really enthused to see it. Unfortunately, the price makes it out of my reach at the moment. But, I really do wish the developer well.

But, what I do have is a C64Mini and I have been enjoying it. It's not a replacement for a real C64, but it's a nice little console that makes it very easy for you to play some of your favorite C64 games on a modern T.V.

I was just wondering if there are any on this forum who either have or had a chance to give the C64Mini a try. Anyone plan on having one underneath their Christmas tree this holiday season?

If you'd like to read more of my thoughts on the C64Mini, then feel free to visit my blog, here.
My favorite Commodore: C128
Latest Review: Free Base for the C128
rbernardo

Re: Have you had a chance to try out a C64Mini?

Post by rbernardo »

DavidB wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:29 pmFirst off, I happened across this project, the128Remastered, and was really enthused to see it.
As a C128 user since 1985, I'm less enthused about it.
Unfortunately, the price makes it out of my reach at the moment.
Right. At $294 US, it is out of my reach, too (and I would still have to provide the chips to populate that board).
I was just wondering if there are any on this forum who either have or had a chance to give the C64Mini a try.
I don't have it, but a FCUG member is giving a presentation on his for our January club meeting.

Back in California,
DavidB

Re: Have you had a chance to try out a C64Mini?

Post by DavidB »

Hi, Robert.

Yes, I've learned more about the 128Remastered and have become increasingly less enthused about it. Apparently, it's designed to fit in a C64C case, rather than a C128. And, it only provides monochrome composite output for the VCD. These points, as well as the price and having to source all of your own chips from a functional (or combination of) C128, this project is a definite pass for me.
My favorite Commodore: C128
Latest Review: Free Base for the C128