The Proprietary Software Paradigm of the 80's / thoughts..

This forum was the place to post questions about "New Commodore" USA PC's like the Pheonix, Invictus and Amigo but given their demise, we are expanding to include the 2015 incarnation of Commodore which includes internet access, smart phones and more.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

BenjaminLumen
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

The Proprietary Software Paradigm of the 80's / thoughts..

Post by BenjaminLumen »

random musings on the actual viability of Commodore USA.....

Thoughts:
Apple keeps its business going through teams of lawyers actually enforcing copyrights, etc, without its Lawyers Apple Computer would die, because it is much too expensive ..

Software was truly proprietary in the 1980's by accident, in that Commodore software would only run on commodore, Atari on Atari, apple on apple, etc..
However, the market actually chose against this paradigm..

Is the market controlled by the physics of micro-processor design theory ?..

the Commodore Nameplate is too expensive to buy (Market History) but useless in a modern sense.. It is worth an enormous amount of money because of brand recognition and if you look at the actual market Commodore nameplate is worth nothing, because what built Commodore's its feel and its cliques and psychologies is its proprietary nature, and that is something the market has largely chosen against..

Commodore USA was trapped by the, "But its just another IBM Clone.." So people heard the name then went and looked at the computer and it was just another IBM clone..

However, Commodore USA was taking the only path that it could reasonably take given its market capitalization which was a mere $25,000,000.00 or so dollars..

Apple Computer survives using its lawyers, and it has a market cap of billions of dollars... It is probably the only such entity able to survive, and if you look at it in the present tense, it is the only such entity that has survived so it is the only
such entity that will survive.
So the idea with any new Commodore Company would be to enforce some amount of proprietary nature the way apple does...

And maybe Commodore is just commodore 64's and Amiga's from the past and maybe that is the way it should be... so Commodore is Dead, LONG LIVE COMMODORE!!!
BenjaminLumen
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Re: The Proprietary Software Paradigm of the 80's / thoughts

Post by BenjaminLumen »

Furthermore,

Given that Commodore had roughly 25,000,000 users, the brand name is still completely viable...

The brand name is still capable of splitting a Market.. Given Laptops,Pads, Computers, and Internet appliances of all types (phones,music players, etc)

The Price to purchase the rights to Commodore and the Commodore nameplate itself is going to run a person, entity, group approx. $500,000,000.00

Commodore USA and its owner had $25,000,000.00 of the $500,000,000.00 it was going to cost them to actually be considered for the purchase of Commodore.....

But I will never blame Commodore USA or its owner for anything they attempted, so far they are the only people that attempted to do anything...

The problem with the $500,000,000.00 price tag for Commodore is that anyone who can Afford to buy Commodore, Doesn't need to buy Commodore.. And that is why the Brand Name is worthless on the other hand, except that it is exactly worth $500,000,000.00 ... And that is the trap that the Commodore Brand name is in...

Apples Market for all its electronics is approximately worth 5 Billion dollars, say 2 billion a year... And the Commodore Brand Name can split that Market....So yeah somewhere $500,000,000.00 buy's the Commodore Brand name.

Apples business requires Apple to be innovative, because even though their computers are overpriced, they still have to give the Lawyers something to enforce when it comes to Copyright issues, Patent issues,etc, and that is what is
keeping Apple from being Copied, and that keeps a Viable entity when it otherwise would go out of business for its cost.. But it gives Apple an existence when their actual IBM Clones are %45 higher in price then any comparative IBM Clone computer..

The Commodore business is people working out of their garages building stuff for old Commodore Computers, Its cool, its still innovative, it is beautiful to see it being done and it is untouchable by the holders of the Commodore brand name, and this because Commodore's ports are all ANSI and IEEE spec , which are completely open...

I Love Commodore , I spent so many days behind Commodore Computers you can't even count them.. Thousands and Thousands and Thousands of hours behind a Commodore 64,128 computers...

The Commodore Brand name will sell most likely under a restructering as one European Conglomerate which is just sitting on the label amongst millions in other assets, restructures a load of debt or something and some bank in Europe or some company in Europe buys a whole slew of Patents, labels, brand names, from companies in exchange for underwriting debts or something for around $2,000,000,000.00 or something..