Commodore's Jack Tramiel Dead at 83

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

administrator
Site Admin

Commodore's Jack Tramiel Dead at 83

Post by administrator »

It is with great sadness that I tell you of the passing of computer business pioneer, Jack Tramiel on Sunday April 8th 2012.

Below are some quotes about his passing:
"Jack Tramiel was an immense influence in the consumer electronics and computing industries. A name once uttered in the same vein as Steve Jobs is today, his journey from concentration camp survivor to captain of industry is the stuff of legends," says Martin Goldberg, a writer working on a book about the Atari brand, speaking with Forbes.

"His legacy are the generations upon generations of computer scientists, engineers, and gamers who had their first exposure to high technology because of his affordable computers – 'for the masses and not the classes'," he said.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/09 ... dore_dies/
Famous for saying that computers should be built "for masses, not the classes," Tramiel played an important role in the early days of personal computing and video gaming, as his company introduced a line of powerful but affordable home computers, including the popular Commodore 64. The latter became the best-selling home computer of all time, with an estimated 20 to 30 million units sold, though Tramiel wasn't one to brag. In fact, he was most content when not in the spotlight.

In an interview with CNET in 2007, Tramiel said, "I'm quite happy if people do not know me." However, it's hard not to know a man whose contributions and life story are so unforgettable

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57411 ... feed&subj=
I used to have a Saturday afternoon club for kids and we had all the lastest computers for them to use...

Mr. Tramiel came to my classes once and sat in with the kids - he was really impressed and sent me a dozen new computers afterwards. He was a really nice man and I am glad to see he not only lived a good long time but that when he passed away it was with his family at his side. My respects to his family and many friends.

Good bye, Jack. Thank you for the amazing wonders of my childhood, and for the fantastic career I now have.
administrator
Site Admin

Re: Commodores Jack Tramiel Dead at 83

Post by administrator »

In case you did not know we run http://www.JackTramiel.com and had offered to give the domain to Jack several times in the past but he was not interested in it.

We have updated our homepage but not the rest of the site. Will be updating the site shortly. :(
bbagnall

Post by bbagnall »

This is a shock to me. I met him one time and only exchanged a few words, along with his getting his autograph. It's always been a dream to interview him someday, and shed light on his early years. It looked like this could actually happen when Martin Goldberg, who is working on a history of Atari, secured an interview scheduled for next week, but unfortunately Jack's heart didn't hold out that long. I think Jack knew his time was coming soon and he wanted to finally tell his side of the story. Now we'll never be able to get the ultimate insider viewpoint.

My favorite article today summing up Jack's life has been this one:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mike-cassidy ... ed-silicon
Read the story of Commodore in print.
mhtsoos
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!
Location: Athens,Egaleo 12242,bryoylon 43 Greece 00306992500128 phone number

Post by mhtsoos »

may he rest in peace...welcomed by his ancestors and work in the kindom of heavens for his work was remarkable and gain a place in bahaala
his programme the c:/ gave me the opportunity to pay for his taxes and for my ancestors as well...maybe we can hear from him in the irc oneday
+co
MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Sad though I will be lucky to live as long, I certainly appreciate many of his contributions to the computing landscape. RIP JACK!
mhtsoos
Location: Athens,Egaleo 12242,bryoylon 43 Greece 00306992500128 phone number

Post by mhtsoos »

my sympathies
+co
judland

Re: Commodore's Jack Tramiel Dead at 83

Post by judland »

Thanks for memories and for helping us all to get involved in micro-computing, Jack.

God bless!
firstchoice

Post by firstchoice »

I recall the Commodore 64 as one of my first computers, but had no idea the company founder emerged from the likes of Auschwitz. Well done, Jack!
alexa33

Post by alexa33 »

I'm sorry to hear of Mr Tramiel's passing. Especially so because I'm related to Holocaust survivors by marriage, and as many of my elementary school teachers years ago were also survivors with numbered tattoos on their arms. It was a horrific time, and the people who made it through those times were not only survivors but remarkable survivors. I know quite a few of the elderly survivors who after this tragedy, went on to become very wealthy people and terrific businessmen because of their tremendous drives. After going thru the war, they were unstoppable despite having very little education, money, a mastery of the English language or a family to fall back on. It should be a lesson to our fellow Americans and Canadians that anybody can succeed in this world despite every disadvantage that they think they may have.
paulsteve

Post by paulsteve »

64-Bits Of Sadness. RIP Jack Tramiel.
SalimasRoho

Post by SalimasRoho »

It's always sad to see humble and brilliant men leave our world... :?
Multi multa; nemo omnia novit
Computer freak since birth :)
what does mba stand for
thenewpur

Post by thenewpur »

alexa33 wrote:I'm sorry to hear of Mr Tramiel's passing. Especially so because I'm related to Holocaust survivors by marriage, and as many of my elementary school teachers years ago were also survivors with numbered tattoos on their arms. It was a horrific time, and the people who made it through those times were not only survivors but remarkable survivors. I know quite a few of the elderly survivors who after this tragedy, went on to become very wealthy people and terrific businessmen because of their tremendous drives. After going thru the war, they were unstoppable despite having very little education, money, a mastery of the English language or a family to fall back on. It should be a lesson to our fellow Americans and Canadians that anybody can succeed in this world despite every disadvantage that they think they may have.
Indeed, very sad to see someone like Mr. Tramiel not be amongst us any more. I am also related to a Holocaust survivor, they are truly heros.
peterbd

Post by peterbd »

RIP Jack, a true legend and one of my inspirations for getting into the field.
Peter