Problem with Commodore 128, not sure what to do.

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

Macro_Morgzilla
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Problem with Commodore 128, not sure what to do.

Post by Macro_Morgzilla »

I recently purchased a 128 to replace my broken 64, and the one I got works fine, except whenever I play any games it acts as if the joystick is pressed right.
I already ruled out the joystick being the problem, and was wondering if anyone else had had a problem like this.
I thought it might have been the cursor keys, but they work fine in basic. As far as I have checked it does it in both 128 and 64 modes.

Thanks in advance for any help.
wiskow

Re: Problem with Commodore 128, not sure what to do.

Post by wiskow »

This document will help you diagnose the problem:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/ctrlport.txt
BenjaminLumen

Post by BenjaminLumen »

I would look for a shorted PIN on the pinout to either the Joystick ports, or the joystick itself.
But it sounds like you have dust/DIRT, etc Shorting two pins together, like a RT pin is shorted to +5v or something..

Take a DMM and go from HOT lead on the Pins to ground (metal chasis inside Commodore) or Ground point on board. see if one of the pins is floating at some positive voltage far
from Ground anywhere from 1.3v-5V could be sign of trouble.. Check each pin in turn.
Source

Post by Source »

Did you find out the problem? I just purchased one myself and have been trying to get it to play some of the old 64 games. Some of the games work well, while others the games seem to have problems with the joystick. The joystick works well, and the problem persists even though the joystick is not plugged in.
administrator
Site Admin

Post by administrator »

Although it does not cover your situation specifically, the following chart will help you diagnose hardware problems with your Commodore 128 and C 64:

http://www.commodore.ca/manuals/Tips/c64_tips.htm
carl10

Post by carl10 »

I thought it might have been the cursor keys, but they work fine in basic. As far as I have checked it does it in both 128 and 64 modes.
Basically, I'm having the same problem as him but mine does NOT work on 64 mode.
Anyone has a solution for that?

Thanks!