Commodore PET 4016 Blowing Fuses.

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

Blayne1602
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Commodore PET 4016 Blowing Fuses.

Post by Blayne1602 »

Hi all, a couple years ago i acquired a late 70's PET 4016 at an antique shop for a mere 8 dollars. at the time i had no clue what it was, but after some research, i found it to be pretty cool. The issue that it has is whenever you plug it in, whether the switch is on or off, it will blow the fuse that goes into the power supply. The day i bought it, it turned on with a flat green line on the screen and lasted 4 seconds and blew the fuse that was in it. It won't even turn on now. If anyone has experienced this issue, or knows anything about what it could be, your help would be SOO appreciated, thanks!! :)
LoneWolf33
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Re: Commodore PET 4016 Blowing Fuses.

Post by LoneWolf33 »

Hi,

This can happen when the contacts of the power switch are welded together due to the overload,
so the circuit remains complete towards the primary winding of the power transformer,
despite the OFF position of the switch.

I'd recommend to find the root cause first, because just replacing the fuse and turning back on
the machine which obviously works abnormal will cause more and more internal damage,
finally rendering the poor thing into a useless paper weight. No offense :)