Commodore 128 Joystick problem

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

owensct
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Commodore 128 Joystick problem

Post by owensct »

Hi All,

New to the forum.

I finally got my C128 up and running again, (it's been boxed for years) and I've encountered an issue with the joystick I have, a Competition Pro, (massive joystick that sits on your lap) and I decided to load up the C64 version of Elite and that's where I ran into problems. When trying to use the stick, some directions on the stick cause the cannons to fire and pressing the buttons cause the ship to change direction. I tried it with another game, (Tracker by RainBird software) considering the Elite disks are over 30 years old and experienced the same results.

I vaguely, very vaguely have a recollection of this issue being a know problem with the C128 back in the day, but I can't recall what the fix was, seems like it was a combination of keystrokes, but I just can't remember.

Can anyone offer any insights into this problem?

Thanks

Gordon :D
chromemag
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Re: Commodore 128 Joystick problem

Post by chromemag »

Sounds like a problem with the switches/contacts inside the joystick. Take it apart and clean/check those.

-Tom