Commodore Word Processor

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

schmudde
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Commodore Word Processor

Post by schmudde »

Commodore produced many different products before the PET. Does anybody know if they ever made/distributed a word processor (a la Wang)? It seems possible considering the broad number of Japanese companies they worked with.

/Schmüdde
rbernardo

Re: Commodore Word Processor

Post by rbernardo »

Before CBM got into computers, the latest that I saw advertised was a daisywheel typewriter.

Writing from Stockholm, Sweden,
schmudde

Post by schmudde »

Are you speaking of the Commodore SQ-1000 (image below). I was wondering if this was the same machine as the Brother GX-6750 and if Commodore ever re-badged Brother machines in general. Many of Commodore's Japanese partners produced word processors. I would love to know why Commodore never got into that market.

/Schmüdde
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

Possibly that is the one, or it could be another CBM daisywheel typewriter. I would love to get a Commodore one to put alongside my other daisywheel typewriters.

Writing from Gatwick, England,
Boris

Post by Boris »

This typewriter was most probably not made by CBM itself, but by a German company (Rulag AG) that had some sort of deal with Commodore and slapped their logo on anything they could from around 1995-1999. It can also often be read that this machine dates back to 1984 - well, I doubt that, too. As the back of those machines have a TÜV Rheinland Logo and not a GS (Geprüfte Sicherheit), which would have been necessary at that point in time. And one more thing: The CE sign was introduced in 1993, but it's also on the back of this machine. I am still searching for supermarket flyers that cover this machine and its successors.
If anyone here has proof that this was actually made by CBM themselves, please share your insight with me.
Bellomy

Post by Bellomy »

Borris wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:50 am Possibly that is the one, or it could be another CBM daisywheel typewriter. I would love to get a Commodore one to put alongside my other daisywheel typewriters.

Writing from Gatwick, England,
You're making a lot of sense, Boris. Why do you think so many misinformation is floating around about this machine? If in fact it's misinformation.