Soliciting Assistance/Ideas: Using a 128 with a 64NIC+ & an REU simultaneously

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

mozartpc27
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Soliciting Assistance/Ideas: Using a 128 with a 64NIC+ & an REU simultaneously

Post by mozartpc27 »

Have this question open on another forum, but it never hurts to try everywhere:

So, I have been working for awhile on trying to achieve, by hook or by crook, the ability to the following:

Load GEOS with REU operating and recognized by GEOS.

Load everything I need for a GEOS work session into the REU.

Exit back out to BASIC.

Load KIpperterm128.

Access internet.

Exit back out to Kipperterm.

Return to GEOS work session.

IF I could get the REU and some internet modem to work simultaneously, I SHOULD be able to do this, as the REU is not cleared out by any of the above actions and a soft reset of the computer theoretically should return me to GEOS with the work session stored in the REU intact.

My initial thought was: get the Commodore Flyer modem. But I have been advised it will not work with Kipperterm. And it appears it is no longer sold anyway.

My next thought was: expand the cartridge port. I've now tried an old Navarone expander, the XPAnder3, and the mini XPander, all to no avail.

The question is: what should I try next?
rbernardo

Re: Soliciting Assistance/Ideas: Using a 128 with a 64NIC+ & an REU simultaneously

Post by rbernardo »

mozartpc27 wrote:Load KIpperterm128.

Access internet.

Exit back out to Kipperterm.

Return to GEOS work session.

IF I could get the REU and some internet modem to work simultaneously, I SHOULD be able to do this, as the REU is not cleared out by any of the above actions and a soft reset of the computer theoretically should return me to GEOS with the work session stored in the REU intact.

My initial thought was...
Heh, my initial thought was to use Kipperterm on one C128 and use GEOS on a second, separate C128. :)

However, thinking about it further, I realized that you need a task switcher. gateWay, the alternative desktop of GEOS, may be the cure to your problem. To use gateWay's task switcher, you need a REU of 256K or more of RAM.

FCUG celebrating 34 years this month,
mozartpc27

Re: Soliciting Assistance/Ideas: Using a 128 with a 64NIC+ & an REU simultaneously

Post by mozartpc27 »

I have downloaded gateway from cbmfiles, but, unlike with GEOS, I've never had any luck getting it to work.
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

Ah, o.k.. Have you tried MegaPatch 128 (with required REU)? That one has a task switcher, too.

On the road to Oregon,
alterus

Post by alterus »

I use a 1541 ultimate 2 with Geos and it works very well. I actually use MegaPatch 3 Geos, which allows task switching and I can hop between geoTerm and geoWriter, for example, then hop to a Geos game for a bit, then back to geoWriter... etc etc.

The 1541u2 allows you to save the REU to file on the sd card, and it allows all REU sizes up to 16 mb. I loaded up MegaPatch Geos and put all my software on the REU drive. Then I frooze the session, saved the REU and used the builtin SuperSnapshot cart of the 1541u2 to save the c64 ram. This way I can fire up my c64, load the REU file in a few seconds, the direcly DMA load the prg of the SuperSnapshot c64 ram freeze. I can be booted into my fully setup MegaPatch Geos session in less than 10 seconds. It really is amazing! I'm happy to share the files I've created for doing this. They also work with Vice.

So basically, a 1541 Ultimate 2 is the way to go. What I described should also work perfectly well on the 128 as well. I use a Strikelink null modem for internet access, and also a Wifi modem prototype that Leif Bloomquist (schema) is putting together. He will have them available for general purchase within the next month.

So... get a 1541 Ultimate 2!!!
alterus

Post by alterus »

If you decide to go the Strikelink route, they are fairly easy to build and the parts cost around $15. I also have parts to build several for our c64 group here in Victoria and would be happy to build one for anyone that is interested... $25 + postage. They work really well, up to 9600 baud, and since they are on the userport you've got the expansion port free for an REU or 1541u2.
mozartpc27

Post by mozartpc27 »

I am in Michigan now for Thanksgiving with my wife's family, but I am intrigued. I'll need to acquire a 1541u2, and that might take a bit, but I'll also need to get this MegaPatch 3 GEOS, so let's start with that. Where can it be acquired?
alterus

Post by alterus »

You can get a 1541u2 here: http://www.1541ultimate.net/content/index.php

They are currently unavailable, but I'd expect them to be around again in March or so... in the mean time you can download the MegaPatch 3 base image I setup here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/815 ... amBoot.d64

Its a bit tricky to setup as you have to patch an existing Geos 2.5 disk with the MP3 installer... Took me a few tries before it worked, but the work is done for you with that link above :)

Just have your REU plugged in and load it up. You can find the original MegaPatch site here with additional info:

http://c64.webgrimm.de/
mozartpc27

Post by mozartpc27 »

I now have a little bit more time than I did - though not money - to pursue my Commodore habit. With the 1541u2 currently unavailable, and money not really available to buy it if it were, I will have to content myself with tinkering to see what I can learn in pursuance of solving my little dilemma.

I still wonder if a device could be made that would combine the functionality of the XPander 3 & the mini XPander, both designed by Jim Brain, although only the former is available from retroinnovations, in a single device. What I have so far discovered is that, on a 128, the 1750 REU works with the XPander 3, but not the mini XPander, and the 64NIC+ works with the mini XPander, but not the XPander 3. A single device that would work with both would be ideal.

But I've now discovered that the terminal program I am using - Kipperterm128, designed originally by I don't know who and adapted for the C128 by Sean Peck, does not work with the 64NIC+ when that device is set to use IO1 (rather than IO2) on a 128. So far, Ihave only tested this with the 64NIC+ being the only thing plugged into the computer - by itself, directly, or through the mini XPander, using either of its ports. In other words, I don't know yet if somehow it would work if the REU were also plugged into the mini XPander, thus occupying IO2. I will test that in a bit, but I am not hopeful.

Not sure what I want anyone to say; at this point, I am just sort of spitballing and hoping someone might come up with something to try.