Exciting New Commodore Event in the NW USA

Pacific Commodore Expo NW: supported by the Fresno Commodore User Group, the Portland Commodore User Group, the Puget Sound Commodore User Group (of Tacoma), the Commodore 64 Enthusiasts of Greater Victoria, and most likely, the Seattle Retro-Computing Society

Moderators: wiskow, rbernardo, Trazan

administrator
Site Admin

Exciting New Commodore Event in the NW USA

Post by administrator »

That master of all things Commodore and amazing worker on this forum has informed us that he has just completed the initial negotiations to setup a new annual CommVex style show. To support this we have created a new forum cleverly named "PaCommEx" which is located on the home page of the forum just above the CommVex forum.

Robert said:
The Living Computer Museum in Seattle, Washington... has locked in a date for it -- June 10-11, 2017.

The event will be called the Pacific Commodore Expo NW or PaCommEx for short...

The museum will charge its own admittance fee, which would be a few dollars per person. We can set-up on Friday, but on the days of the show, we are limited to the hours the museum is open. PaCommEx will be supported by the Fresno Commodore User Group, the Portland Commodore User Group, the Puget Sound Commodore User Group (of Tacoma), the Commodore 64 Enthusiasts of Greater Victoria, and most likely, the Seattle Retro-Computing Society.
Robert and others will be using this new forum to make announcements and receive feedback from... well you!

Thanks for the hard work Robert!
rbernardo
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Re: Exciting New Commodore Event in the NW USA

Post by rbernardo »

Here are some more details. First, a preface --

The Commodore Vegas Expo (CommVEx) has continued with the support of the Fresno Commodore User Group, the Clark County Commodore Computer Club (of Las Vegas), the Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network, and the Portland Commodore User Group. Without the involvement of these clubs, CommVEx would have not gone on to being what it is today -- a successful, yearly Commodore/Amiga event.

Last year I was contacted by Stephen Jones of the Living Computer Museum in Seattle, Washington. He wanted to know if I could do a similar event in Seattle. I replied but heard nothing back. A few weeks ago I visited the Living Computer Museum and talked to Matisse Fletcher, events coordinator for the museum. I talked to her about a two-day, Seattle Commodore/Amiga event in the vein of a CommVEx. She was very open to the idea but wanted more details. I sent her a follow-up e-mail when I returned to California and received her reply today. She has agreed to such an event for June 10-11, 2017.

With the brainstorming of myself and Greg Alekel of the Portland Commodore User Group, we thought of the name, "Pacific Commodore Expo NW" (PaCommEx).

It will be like CommVEx, except we cannot have buying/selling/raffling due to the non-profit status of the museum.

Time for 3 hours of sleep,
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

administrator wrote:We can set-up on Friday, but on the days of the show, we are limited to the hours the museum is open.
PaCommEx will be on the first floor of the museum, the second floor having the permanent museum exhibits, and the third floor having offices and the warehouse.

Still in Las Vegas,
alterus

Post by alterus »

Hey, Kevin Casteels (alterus) here from the Commodore 64 Enthusiasts of Greater Victoria (Vic64). I think this is going to be an awesome event and I'm sure a number of us will make the trip over from Victoria. There is also a new group starting up in Vancouver BC, the Vancouver Commodore Enthusiasts, that will be participating and attending.

While I love the idea, I don't like the name of the event... at all :) It doesn't roll off the tongue and we can come up with something better... Need to brain storm...

I think it would be amazing to have a release party/compo aspect to this gathering. In Europe there are lots of these types of events, and we don't really have anything similar in North America. The NTSC scene is very active with BBSes and other online Commodore activity. A PETSCII art competition would be very well received and lots of fun. We could have static art screens and animation/movie compos. We also have many chiptune musicians here on the west coast, so a SID music compo would also be fun. It could also be a venue to release games and tools. Tools especially are a big thing coming out of the NTSC scene and there is no dedicated event to release them. A basic game compo would also be fun.

If the release compo/party thing doesn't fit in with the computer museum aspect, maybe we could have an event afterwards at a pub or something, while we eat dinner and drinks.

Lots of ideas and I'm sure this event will be a huge success!
alterus

Post by alterus »

BTW, not trying to offend with my comment about the event name. Its OK, I just think we could come up with something a little more catchy :)
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

alterus wrote:I think this is going to be an awesome event and I'm sure a number of us will make the trip over from Victoria.
Thanks! We need enthusiastic groups like yours!
There is also a new group starting up in Vancouver BC, the Vancouver Commodore Enthusiasts, that will be participating and attending.
Another one for me to attend... :) When and where do they meet?
I think it would be amazing to have a release party/compo aspect to this gathering. In Europe there are lots of these types of events, and we don't really have anything similar in North America.
Very true. For the Commodore Vegas Expo, we don't have any programmers who are into that type of activity. Perhaps we can have that at PaCommEx.
A PETSCII art competition would be very well received and lots of fun. We could have static art screens and animation/movie compos. We also have many chiptune musicians here on the west coast, so a SID music compo would also be fun.
For CommVEx, I've been in discussion to get some chiptune entertainment for next year. However, if PaCommEx can come out with it first, that would be great.
It could also be a venue to release games and tools. Tools especially are a big thing coming out of the NTSC scene and there is no dedicated event to release them. A basic game compo would also be fun.
We would have to drum up the programmers who would participate in a games/tools compo.
If the release compo/party thing doesn't fit in with the computer museum aspect, maybe we could have an event afterwards at a pub or something, while we eat dinner and drinks.
I'm already looking for a place near the museum where we could have dinner and continue our Commodore and Amiga discussions.
...the event name. Its OK, I just think we could come up with something a little more catchy
:) Heh, maybe for 2018...

Back in California,
alterus

Post by alterus »

If its OK with you Robert, I'd like to get started on the organization of the compo part of the expo. I have lots of ideas and already several people here in Canada that would like to participate. I'd like to focus part of the compo on BBS art, specially static screens and animations. That kinda of stuff is easy to do and accessible to everyone, especially non coders. That being said, I'm hoping we can also get some proper NTSC demos released at this event!
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

Proceed!!! :)

Waiting at the San Francisco International Airport,
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

I finally got word back... the Seattle Retro-Computing Society is excited about PaCommEx. :)

Back from New Zealand and Australia,
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

Around Nov. 2 or 3, I will be back in the Seattle area to look over the Living Computers: Museum + Labs venue again and to ask questions of the staff.

Truly,
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

rbernardo wrote:Around Nov. 2 or 3, I will be back in the Seattle...
My travel plans are firming up...

Nov. 1 - arrive Yreka, California
Nov. 2 - arrive Portland, Oregon
Nov. 3 - arrive Tacoma, Washington
Nov. 4 - arrive Seattle, Washington
Nov. 5 - arrive Astoria, Oregon
Nov. 6 - arrive Roseburg, Oregon
Nov. 7 - back in California

Truly,
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

I originally wrote:
We can set-up on Friday, but on the days of the show, we are limited to the hours the museum is open.
Yesterday I visited the Living Computers: Museum + Labs again and spoke to Matisse Fletcher and Stephen Jones of the LCM. I received clarification on the hours. Stephen is willing to stay past museum closing time on Friday, June 9, so that we can set up our machines -- 5 to 7 p.m., specifically. Then on Saturday, he can open the doors up for us from 9 to 10 a.m. for more set-up time. The museum hours on Saturday and Sunday are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.. We can leave our machines there overnight on Saturday. On Sunday our tear-down time is from 5 to 7 p.m..

Writing from Astoria, Oregon,
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

I was shown the first floor exhibit area where PaCommEx will take place. It is still under construction but will be finished by November 18. Museum attendees will enter through the main door and pay their admission at the stand right there. As Stephen Jones envisions it, we will have our exhibit tables in a line leading to the stairway to the second floor exhibit area. That way, the general public cannot help but see our C= computers there as they find their way to the stairway. The area which will have our line of tables is 20 feet wide x 40 feet long (just a portion of the entire first floor exhibit area). Right now we have 10 C= set-ups on exhibit; I told him that we may have 12. He assures me that there is no problem in regards to electrical power. A powerful ceiling-mounted projector and massive projection screen are available for us to use; get ready your video adapters because there are VGA and HDMI connections. (As the general public passes by to the stairway, they will see the enormous projection from whatever C= computer we choose to display!) Strong Wi-fi is freely available at the museum, so get ready your C= wi-fi modems. :)

On the east side of the exhibit hall, there will be a cafe where we can purchase food and beverages. Or as Matisse and Stephen put it, we can "brown bag" it and bring in our own food. However, the food must be eaten in the cafe area and not near any exhibit.

Writing from Astoria, Oregon,
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

I am planning an April trip to the Pacific NW in order to check on preparations at the Living Computers: Museum + Labs. Perhaps I can visit a few C= clubs, too.

Writing from Miami, Florida,
rbernardo

Post by rbernardo »

rbernardo wrote:I am planning an April trip to the Pacific NW in order to check on preparations at the Living Computers: Museum + Labs.
My schedule is firming up. So far, it looks like this -

Wednesday, April 19 - Depart central California. Arrive California/Oregon border.
Thursday, April 20 - Arrive Portland, Oregon.
Friday, April 21 - Arrive Seattle, Washington.
Saturday, April 22 - Visit the LCM. Visit the Seattle Retro-Computing Society in Redmond, Washington?
Sunday, April 23 - Visit the Puget Sound Commodore User Group in Sumner, Washington?
Monday, April 24 - Arrive Eugene, Oregon on the way back to California.
Tuesday, April 25 - Arrive central California.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
June 10-11 Pacific Commodore Expo NW -
http://www.portcommodore.com/pacommex